For Older Adults
As we get older, knowing how to navigate the healthcare system and choosing the best care for ourselves is crucial. With funding from The John A. Hartford Foundation,1 FAIR Health created this section for older adults. It includes tools you can use to plan for the costs of your care and make better healthcare decisions—whether you make them alone or with a caregiver who helps you.
FH® Insurance Basics Articles—Quick Links
Find all articles here. You also can get started with the quick links below.
Your Costs and Coverage
- Health Insurance in Retirement
- Managing Costs of Chronic Conditions
- Preventive Care and Wellness Services: Coverage and Costs
- Wellness Programs: Coverage for Promoting Healthy Living
- Negotiating Your Costs: Using FAIR Health Cost Estimates to Negotiate the Costs of Care
- FH® Total Treatment Cost
- Planning Your Costs Based on Where You Get Care
- The Basics of Telehealth
- How to Deal with COVID-19 Medical Costs
- What You Need to Know about Medicare
Healthcare Decision Making
- Shared Decision Making
- How to Speak with Your Healthcare Provider to Make Informed Healthcare Decisions
- Palliative Care and Shared Decision Making
Dental Coverage and Costs
FH® Healthcare Toolkit
Download and print:
Resources for Older Adults and Their Caregivers
Use this section to find helpful links to organizations that can help if you have a problem with coverage or websites to help you find a doctor or dentist.
Financial Health Literacy
Learn about steps you can take to prepare for and manage your healthcare costs.
FH® Medical Cost Lookup Tool
This tool offers cost estimates and compares healthcare costs in your area. You can find costs for healthcare services and supplies. You also can find costs for urgent care, telehealth and hospital stays.
FH® Dental Cost Lookup Tool
Use this tool to estimate and compare dental costs in your area. You can find costs for services that include visits, fillings, crowns and more.